What is an Admissions Committee Looking for in College Application Essays?
For entering the college of your dream it is not enough to show brilliant academic skills and pass your exams with flying colors. You also have to produce a favorable impression on admission officers through your college admission essay. However, most applicants have little idea of what is expected from them and need urgent college admissions assistance.
If you face a similar problem, read what qualities admission committee is looking for in your college application essay:
- They want to know if you possess leadership or innovation skills, that is if you can be in charge of a project of a certain group of people and generate unconventional ideas and creative solutions to the problems.
- Moreover, it is important to be able to contribute something to the college, namely be eager to take part in college activities and research.
- Being a well-rounded person and having a long-term interest in some extra-curricular activity also counts, as it shows admission officers your potential and commitment.
Colleges single out college application essays that meet these requirements, as they need people who can make a difference on the campus as well as in other communities they will form part of in future.
How to Write a College Application Essay?
Although different institutions come up with diverse topics for a college admission essay, there is a number of the most typical college admission essay topics (View our list of topics in the Topics section).
Read our college admission essay writing tips and get a better idea of what an impressive college application essay should be like:
- You might be asked to write about an activity that you devote most of your free time to. To impress your committee, you shouldn’t just keep to the beaten track and comment on your expertise in this activity and what makes it attractive for you.
- Your college admission essay has to show if you have brought something new to this area, helped other people to acquire the necessary skills, organized a special club for the enthusiasts of this activity and how you intend to develop your skills on the campus, namely if you would like to join a special student organization or create one.
- Another popular college admission essay issue is related to the challenges you had in your life. It does not necessarily have to be related to school life and has to show that you are able to deal with difficult situations and figure out a sure-fire solution.
- Make sure the experience you choose to state is related to one of the aforementioned qualities, that is, it can dwell on the problematic situation, which you managed to address and help other people, experience of developing a new organization or some kind of innovative technique or approach.
On balance, when you write your college admission essay, keep in mind the key qualities that admission officers are looking for. This will help you create a captivating piece of writing and persuade the admission committee that you are a worthy candidate. If you need more help, ask our college admission experts for it!