Plagiarism is one of the most topical issues in the academic world. Along with globalization of information and wide access to literature and other information sources, the problem of plagiarism is becoming really alerting. Unfortunately, the problem lays not only in the intentional plagiarism, but simply in the lack of knowledge of students and writers in general of what is plagiarism.
So, what is plagiarism and how to perform plagiarism check? This concept means presentation of someone else’s thoughts and ideas as your own. It may sound very clear, but, in fact, the scope of plagiarism is much wider than we can expect.
You can be accused and suffer from severe consequences of plagiarism in the following cases:
- You present the ideas that someone else published before you as your own. It includes quotation and citation without proper referencing of the information source.
- You give someone’s ideas in your work, even with significantly changed wording, without referencing.
- You use your colleague’s work and have identical ideas.
- You do not reference your own work, written before.
Remember, it is extremely important to learn about it and make sure that your work is free of any of the above mentioned elements.
For better or worse, modern academic society started to realize the scale of the problem of plagiarism and developed a lot of methodologies to help avoid it, as well as enable plagiarism detection. Consequences of plagiarism range from the reduction in grade for plagiarized academic works to strict fines and even expulsion in some of the educational establishments.
There are two main and easy ways to avoid plagiarism:
- Reference all the sources that you used in your work from the very beginning, so that you do not miss any quotes and citations used. Do not forget to meet all the requirements of citation style.
- It is also essential to know how to check for plagiarism and today there are several systems that allow you to do it. The same system, on the other hand, identifies the level of plagiarism in your work once you submit it for assessment and it makes it easier to understand how your work will be assessed if you use these systems.
To avoid the consequences of plagiarism and be really professional in your writing, keep in mind the stated requirements and achieve success!